Monday, 3 March 2008

Short on Money, Long on Time

In the eye of modern capitalist lifestyle, the phrase may seem like a lazy excuse for underachiever buggers. In an age where money is everything and jobs seem to be the main ingredient of life, God forbid that individuals other than studying youngters would still rejoice over being short on money and long on time.

Today's the first day of me having an unplanned cutback from 14 hours of work to roughly 11-12 hours a day. It's depressing, obviously, since I make slightly less money than previous months - but, dear God, how sweet it is to have time to actually do things. To take it slow, to enjoy not having to rush in the restriction of time.
To live.
How sweet it is to experience what Paolo Nutini sang in 'New Shoes':
Oh, short on money,
but long on time,
slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
and i'm running late,
and i don't need an excuse


I already plan to fill back those hours with paid work, and soon I will be back on 'long on money, short on time' - but in the mean time, I'm just going to enjoy the sweet sunshine - or in my case these days, the comfortably beautiful rain.

No comments: